Just a quicky today.
Breakfast was my basic buttermilk pancakes (recipe below) and a ham-and-green-onion frittata.
Lunch was the leftover rice from the day before and some of our farmer’s market bounty: strawberries and donut peaches.
Dinner was a fancy restaurant with a friend, so basically, I’m not doing all that well in my resolve not to spend much in restaurants this month. Oh, well.
Money spent on groceries: $16.25 (project total $55.86)
Money spent in restaurants: $55 (project total $92.76)
Food gifts received today: $0 (project total $17)
Things we’ve run out of:
Mayonnaise, ice cream, hamburger patties, pork chops
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- dash salt
- 1-3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use the thick Bulgarian kind; it makes a difference)
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 Tbsp melted butter, plus more for the pan
- Combine the dry ingredients with a fork in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine the buttermilk and egg in a small bowl and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Fry the pancakes in melted butter. If you’re unsure how to cook pancakes, leave me a comment, and I’ll be more specific.